Old March 24th 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
mike mike is offline

Default AZDEN PCS4000 Manual???

Joseph Fenn wrote:

Did you try measuring the current drain on the battery?
Some of this old stuff was designed to be plugged into power all the
time.
mike

--
Return address is VALID!
Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale He

Well I could'nt imagine that the On/Off switch must remain on all the
time.

Read it again. Plugged into power is not the same as having the on/off
switch on all the time.

FWIW, a typical car radio these days draws about 1/4 amp when the power
is off. Vendors will deny it, but get out your meter and measure the
current thru the power wire when the radio is off.
There's a second wire that keeps the memory alive when your
ignition switch cuts the main power. Learned this the hard way
when I hard-wired a modern car radio into a motorhome. Battery
went flat in a hurry.
mike

If it was in a Vehicle instead of in my ham shack who would
want to leave the darned rig on all the time. I use it in the
home shack, and all I did was substitute the tiny 3 v (rechargeable)
cell and gring the +/- leads out so could use Lithium Ion or other
longer lasting rechargeables. You gave me an idea however so will
crank in 5 freqs and leave it on for a few days to see what hapens.
73's and tnx
Joe