Old March 25th 07, 07:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jimmie D Jimmie D is offline

Default Nutty Antenna Idea -- Complete with Rhetorical Questions

"Sal M. Onella" wrote in message

"Jimmie D" wrote in message

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Buck wrote:
If both were the same, I think he would be better off, but it should
turn into a rotatable dipole similar to a multiband beam, but without
the directors and reflectors. I see there is no reason it shouldn't
work once he gets them tuned.

How much would it weigh?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Yeah I thought about that too after my inital post. It would be a bear to
make a rotateable dipole using this if its anything like my old trap
vertical.

I hadn't bargained on rotating it, although that's not out of the
question.
I think those verticals are about 20 pounds each, so it would be a
project.
I will weigh them tomorrow. I do have a rotator thrust bearing that I
once
used with a monster VHF TV antenna.

The Hustler four band (10, 15, 20 , 40) is 35 feet tall. The other
antenna
is a five-band, but I don't have the specs here at hand. It's presumably
the same, unless they got 80 with some folding tricks, in which case I
don't
know how tall it would be.

Depending on where I would put a rotating 70-foot horizontal antenna, I'm
sure I could either prune my neighbor's tree or make contact with the
power
company, via their overhead lines. Did I mention I am on a city street
with
a 100 x 100 lot? Hm-m-m -- better not rotate.

Make sure your antenna is OK before you try this a lot of those old Hustlers
are good for scrap.