Old March 25th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default Suggestions for tube-type general coverge rcvr, not HQ-180

"Uncle Peter" ) writes:
"K3HVG" wrote in message
news
that they didn't use many (if at all) paper capacitors. Finally, FYI,

Heath never made an upscale general coverage receiver. Good hunting.

Hi Jeep

The SB-310 was perhaps the best SW receiver they made.
Albiet limited coverage... It did a PD if I recall...

Pete

One of the ones I always wondered about came in the sixties and I'm
pretty sure was still in the catalog in 1971 when I would have seen
my first Heath catalog. It was a general coverage receiver, and looked
a lot like the average low end receiver. But it used an IF in the 1600KHz
range, using a two-crystal lattice filter. I've always been curious
about it because of that high IF which obviously would make an improvement
for the highest band in terms of image rejection compared to the usual
cheap SW receiver. But I've never really seen anything about how the
receiver was generally. A higher IF suggests something better, but
it might have just been as bad as the usual low end SW receiver.

Micahel VE2BVW