Old March 25th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
William Warren William Warren is offline

Default Suggestions for tube-type general coverge rcvr, not HQ-180

Nomad wrote:
My vote would go to the Drake R4A or R4B.

I've used many of the radios discussed here & many modern rigs as
well. The Drakes are excellent performers.

Crystal them up for your SW freq.'s of interest or add a freq.
synthesizer if you don't want to bother with crystals. There were
construction articles in June 2004 QST & ELECTRIC RADIO Dec 2005 to
build your own freq. synthesizer.

I've got the R4A & it's one of my favorite radios. Great on SSB & CW
as well as AM.
Four selectivity positions , .4 kc, 1.2 kc, 2.4 kc and 4.8 kc ; pass
band tuning, etc.

The copper chassis are prone to tarnish but it doesn't effect
performanace.

I currently own the following tube type receivers/transceivers: R4-A,
R390A, HRO-50, HQ-160, KWM2-A, Hammarlund Super-Pro SP-200.

I have owned over the years Collins R-388 & 75A-3, National HRO-60,
Drake R4-C, RCA AR-88, Hallicrafters SX-100, SX-101, SX-115, SX-117,
SX-122, SX-42, Drake TR-3 & TR-4.

I've also owned or used much modern equipment including many rice
boxes & Ten-Tec gear.

Terry
W8EJO

Terry,

I'll ask you to do the same thing for Drake as I asked another poster to
do for Hammarlund: please post a list of the Drake units, with a summary
of the advantages/disadvantages of each.

TIA.

William

(Filter noise from my address for direct replies)