Old March 25th 07, 04:56 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Brian Reay Brian Reay is offline

Default For the newbie, a FAQ, "What is _REAL_ Ham Radio?"

"Leigh" wrote in message

But with today's microprocessor, DSP and firmware laiden transceivers,
would repair be both possible and cost-effective once the radio amateur
has purchased a SMD rework station and expensive test gear, etc, that
would only be used for the one repair, etc?

I've done surface mount repairs and /or modifications in the past without a
SMD rework station so it can be done. I find it a bit more difficult now due
to poor dexterity in my hand but, while I'd not take on a repair for someone
else (in case it goes pear shaped), I'd probably have a try on some thing of
my own- unless it was very high in value. I've picked up one of those
illuminated magnifying lenses and, with practice, you can solder SMD stuff
while looking through that. The key thing, assuming you want to replace a
component, is to get it off the PCB without damaging the pads. For a
multi-legged beast, you can snip the legs and remove them one at a time. A
bit of heat on the body of the package will help if there is any glue under
it. Ball grid arrays are more of a problem.

As regards the DSP side, if that goes bad the repair is probably more
hardware related (ie a bad component) so the firmware doesn't really come
into it. I've not checked, but some of the DSP radios may well use one of
the "off the shelf" DSP devices that you can get the development environment
for. If so, you could write your own code- assuming you Know what you are
doing.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN

Now your amateur licence is free, why not send at least £15 per year to
support the
Radio Communications Foundation or STELAR?