Old March 25th 07, 05:12 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Brian Reay Brian Reay is offline

Default For the newbie, a FAQ, "What is _REAL_ Ham Radio?"

"Leigh" wrote in message
Brian Reay wrote:

Comments noted Brian, especially when I think back to the repairs and
modifcations I used to do with analogue satellite receivers both for SAT
TV and ATV use. Just need a steady hand and fine tip and plenty of
patience.

As regards the DSP side, if that goes bad the repair is probably more
hardware related (ie a bad component) so the firmware doesn't really come
into it. I've not checked, but some of the DSP radios may well use one
of the "off the shelf" DSP devices that you can get the development
environment for. If so, you could write your own code- assuming you Know
what you are doing.

Fortunately I prefer non-DSP radios and ones where I can effect a simple
repair - especially Icom 735 and Yaesu FT747 - simple and reliable sets
and very flexible and forgiving with non-fancy aerial systems unlike some
modern sets that 'freak out' when a high SWR is presented.

Will, the IC756ProIII is a dream and works fine with a simple end fed for
general HF use and a reduced size loaded dipole for 5MHz.

Thinking of adding DSP to the 747 sometime or maybe trying a PC based
real-time solution.

The SDR is a good place to start with this type of thing, there is a wealth
of material around and lots of people experimenting.

Personally, I like a radio with a proper front panel, with knobs you tweak,
switches you push etc.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN

Now your amateur licence is free, why not send at least £15 per year to
support the
Radio Communications Foundation or STELAR?