Old March 25th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Plimmer John Plimmer is offline

Default Ship without a sail

"Mark Zenier" wrote in message
In article ,
John Plimmer wrote:
Well Steve, my main interest is MW DXing and I am always up to date with
the
possibilities there. But my home town of Montagu, whilst being a little
bit
of paradise, is not a good DX location at all, due to the high mountains
that surround it cutting off the low angle distant DX.

What's reception like on top of the mountains?

Mark Zenier

It's easier to drive down to the coast one and a half hours away - the DX
there is fantastic. I'm going again with a couple of DX pals on April 14th
to a DX site right on the beach near Stilbaai.

The little town of Montagu is at an elevation of 770 ft, whilst the tops of
the surrounding mountains are 4,600 feet. Getting to the top is only for
serious experienced climbers, certainly not for an aged septuagenarian. I
guess if some young climbers carted the radio gear to the top of the
mountain it would give good reception, but not as good as the seaside. The
seaside experiences a phenomena known as "sea gain" which gives an enormous
boost to signals

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx