Old March 28th 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Brian MW0GKX Brian MW0GKX is offline

Default Characteristics of Yaesu/Vertex VXA-700 cigarette lighter adapter

"Rick" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:42:30 +0000, Brian MW0GKX wrote:

OK using a bit of 'sideways logic' I see that the 12V 'adaptor' (E-DC-5B
DC
Cable with Cigarette Lighter Plug) listed for this radio also cross
references to a yaesu handy (VR500) I've got that, quite happily, takes a
'neat' 12V in to charge the 2 'AA' cells that are in the radio. So I
would
say the 13.8V from your car would be fine.

Good afternoon, Brian.

The point of my question was, I want to fabricate a DC power cord for the
VXA-700 with a Powerpole connector on one end, and I need to know if I can
just feed 12 volts into the side of the VXA-700, or does their cigarette
lighter adapter have some kind of voltage reduction or current limiting
circuitry in there?

AFAIK noise suppression and spike removal is all thats in the box, and maybe
a fuse.

For current limiting, use a 2 amp fuse in the supply.

Also note that they sell a lead with no plug on the far end to connect the
radio to a shacks supply.