Old March 30th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
w9gb w9gb is offline

Default TS-930s transmit problem

"Tim" wrote in message

I have a TS-930s That has been in storage for 13 years. I fired it up and
it receives fine. Everything seems in good shape except there is no RF
output. In the tune mode the VC reads almost full scale where the IC reads
low at about 1a. On CW there is no output and I get the same meter
readings.

I am getting real frustrated. I have been off the air the same amount of
time the rig has been and really want to get back on. I can use an old 830
I have here but it's controls are so corroded I am going to have to go
inside and attempt to clean them.

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks,

Tim -

Kenwood released 15 service bulletins for the TS-930S, while it was in
production.
Here are some of them:
http://www.qsl.net/ki4nr/kenwood/

Original soldering and power supply issues are often mentioned in repairs
for this radio.
Personally, I would perform a close 'visual' inspection of the electrolytic
capacitors and components in the power supply section.
Some additional resources and reference materials:

W6NL/HC8L, D.B. Leeson's TS-930 notes (2001) - Adobe Acrobat
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/ts930fix/w6nl930.pdf

N0SS, Tom Hammond - TS-930 digital board
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/ts930fix/ts930doc.pdf

Piexx has an upgraded microprocessor board for the TS-930
http://www.piexx.com/index.p....s_id=25

KI4NR, John Bolduc (LPC Wireless) - Phone 386-774-9921
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5210
was performing TS-930 and TS-940 repairs,
BUT check with him (he may have stopped recently, due to health).
http://www.qsl.net/ki4nr/index.htm

Clif Holland at Avvid is a good resource -- and is again accepting radios
for service.

w9gb