Old March 30th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
AF6AY AF6AY is offline

Default The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

From: Dave Heil on Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:34:59 GMT

From: on Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:00:14 -0400

I have a much lesser view of "inertia" (failure to "get going"
on some problem) that is supposed to be in government. I see
such "inertia" as simply the time required in having to
consider ALL citizens' input, not just one group that thinks
they are the 'only' ones who can be righteous on some viewpoint.

I'm sure that your view was formulated based upon your own experience
with inertia: Decades of considering all things concerning GETTING INTO
amateur radio, better than ten years of posting in this newsgroup, your
false start over seven years ago and finally, waiting for the Morse code
test to disappear.

Oh, my, passing that brick must have REALLY hurt! You
certainly MANUFACTURED a great number of FALSEHOODS
there, David. :-)

Amateur radio was NOT one of my life goals, David. It is just
a small part of the much larger world of radio where I've lived
and worked in for decades. It just wasn't something I desired
or longed for during all that time.

My participation in a campaign to (successfully) eliminate the
morse code test was a POLITICAL exercise in regards to old,
antiquated radio regulations for a hobby radio activity. That
had NOTHING to do with (what you imagine) as lusting after a
amateur radio license. :-)

Newcomers are generally
younger and aren't buying "the old guy's club" stuff like the
old guys did when they were young.

Generally younger? Do you mean generally younger than yourself when you
became a newcomer some weeks ago?

I was a newcomer in radio 54 years ago. :-) I'm not a "newcomer"
in ANY radio, sweetums.

I became an ARRL member at 14.

Bully for you. Why did you WAIT so long? Didn't you know that
you could have been licensed at age 4?

You WAITED and procrastinated for a WHOLE DECADE! :-)

My opinion is that the FCC thinks LESS of the ARRL than it might
have two decades or more ago.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. That doesn't make it
factual; it just makes it your opinion.

Yes, Sherlock, that is MY OPINION. You don't like my opinion.
TS on that, sweetums.

Your dislike of MY OPINION is just your dislike. It doesn't
make YOU "right" or even factual. :-)

Other radio services have their own man-made jargon, procedures and
regulations.

How do you know? Did you go to State Department RADIO
SCHOOL to learn that? Or did State accept your "knowledge
of ham radio" as superior to everything else and just
assign you to an Embassy right away?

Why don't you quote some "jargon and procedure" from an ATCRBS?
How about from some harbor or inland waterway? How about from
some MARS field exercise with other government radio services?
Do you roger that, old airman? :-)

Amateur radio is not solely about design and theory. Much of it is
about operating, the thing which an amateur radio license permits you to do.

I've OPERATED radios on LF, on HF, on VHF, on UHF, and on
microwaves WITHOUT *ANY* LICENSE! Legally, too. :-)

I've OPERATED broadcast transmitters, even talked over them,
with a COMMERCIAL radio operator license...something that is
NOT PERMITTED with an amateur radio license.

I've OPERATED a civil aviation radio, its companion VOR, and
ATC Transponder with a COMMERCIAL radio operator license. The
FCC will not allow an amateur radio licensee to do that unless
they have a commercial license. That was AT the controls of
the aircraft at the time. :-)

I have NOT "operated" using morse code on any radio...and I
don't care to do so now. Isn't that what YOU call "operating
a radio?" :-)

The practitioners of amateur radio, at least some, will pound
on the table, get red in the face, hollering that the ONLY way
one can learn "radio" is to become an amateur licensee. That's
totally stupid emotional non-logic.

It surely is stupid, emotional non-logic.

If you think so, why on earth did you use the "newcomer to radio"
remark earlier in this message?

Well, at least you agree that some of YOUR OWN remarks in
the past were, indeed, "stupid, emotional non-logic."

In fact, you're the only fellow I've seen make such a statement.

Did your computer screen malfunction. I was just paraphrasing
your own words of the past.

Most of those just haven't
had any real experience in other radio services and the resent
those of us who have done so.

I wouldn't advise that you start off making such statements when you
first put your brand new amateur radio license to use in getting on the air.

I've already been on the amateur bands, David...and have
discussed such subjects with other radio amateurs here. :-)

Those practitioners want to SHUT
OUT any mention of other radio services as "not applicable" to
amateur radio.

That's not the case either, Leonard. You've been told that amateur
radio is not like other services when it comes to the use of Morse code.

Tsk, tsk, you've TOLD ME a lot of different ****, David.
Complete with the wearing of the Waffen SS costume with
monocle in a terrible parody of Colonel Klink. :-)

It is still heavily used in amateur HF and VHF weak signal work.

Then by all means USE it yourself. Why do you insist on
shoving YOUR preferences down others' throats?

It would be if your statement were true. It isn't. You've made another
factual error.

Tsk, tsk, your biggest FACTUAL ERROR was opening your browser
and attempting to convince others that their preferences should
be the same as yours. Compounding that was your FACTUAL ERROR
in assuming you were some kind of "authority" and/or "leader"
on who should do what and where.

Every time you shout "factual error" you make your own FACTUAL
ERROR. You have NO authority to judge anyone. You weren't even
elected to any ARRL office...and you've been a member since you
were fourteen! I'd say you really, Really, REALLY procrastinated
on that. My, my, all that time and couldn't become an OFFICER!

Have you considered joining the Civil Air Patrol? I hear they
will make just about anyone an OFFICER! No USAF schooling in
that, either! Now hurry up and PASS THAT BRICK.

73, Len AF6AY