Old March 30th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Rick Rick is offline

Default How do I break it to the neighbors

. So far, I've got a 40m dipole that is just strung across the back of the roof, but I plan
to string it between a tree and the chimney when I get a chance.

I would appreciate your ideas on how to calm down neighbors that might be
worried about RF interference, appearance, and property value.

A friggin' WIRE ??? Wow your neighbors are one step away from the funny farm,
aren't they? Paranoia-ville, USA.
Ok, here's what you do, get a picure of a tower farm (check on the web, maybe
W0AIH is a good place to start, or try any of the big dxers listings on
QRZ.com). Then tell your neighbors (only if they ask, don't go looking for
trouble!!) you are thinking of a nice 80 ft tower/beam, but if the dipole
works ok you will probably just keep it. However, if there are any
interference complaints you will put up the tower to "get the antenna up and
away from their houses." And tell them if there are any complaints about a
friggin' piece of WIRE then what have you got to lose by putting up the beam
anyway?
Keep in mind - you only live once. Who do you want to be happy in your
paranoid neighborhood, you or your lousy neighbors?

Rick K2XT