Old March 31st 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella Sal M. Onella is offline

Default How do I break it to the neighbors

"garlicman" None wrote in message
. ..
I moved here about seven months ago. There is not HOA, but some neighbors
are rather sensitive to how others keep their property in our modest

street
of 34 homes on lots about 70 x 120. I just upgraded to General. So far,

I've
got a 40m dipole that is just strung across the back of the roof, but I

plan
to string it between a tree and the chimney when I get a chance.

I would appreciate your ideas on how to calm down neighbors that might be
worried about RF interference, appearance, and property value.

Reverse psychology. You make sure they're glad you're a ham.

You help one neighbor correctly wire an outside GFCI receptacle because you
know how and he doesn't (and he's already tripped the branch breaker six
times with his attempts); you give another neighbor your old CB antenna for
his boat (and you were done with it, anyway); you put an F-series connector
on a piece of RG-6 so the next neighbor can hook up her cable modem in a new
room (and she's a babe, too); you reflow the solder pads on a PC-mount RCA
jack because your neighbor's kid keeps pushing the plug of his video game
into the TV too hard (three times so far -- last time I gave it back with
two short pigtail jumpers so he wouldn't do it again.).

Four neighbors, four stories, all true and there are more. Heck, I could
put an air-search radar antenna on my roof and they wouldn't say anything!