Old March 31st 07, 08:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
garlicman garlicman is offline

Default How do I break it to the neighbors

"Jim Higgins" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:15:17 -0700, "garlicman" None wrote:

I moved here about seven months ago. There is not HOA, but some neighbors
are rather sensitive to how others keep their property in our modest
street
of 34 homes on lots about 70 x 120. I just upgraded to General. So far,
I've
got a 40m dipole that is just strung across the back of the roof, but I
plan
to string it between a tree and the chimney when I get a chance.

I would appreciate your ideas on how to calm down neighbors that might be
worried about RF interference, appearance, and property value.

Worries by the neighbors about possible interference in advance of
actual interference are not a good reason to abandon your plans unless
your allergy to pollen is a good reason for your neighbors not to
plant that new flower bed or other flowering shrub or perhaps even to
cut their grass while you're outside. And of course your wife's
migraine condition requires they cut their lawn while she is at work
or shopping, never on a weekend when she is home to hear the noise
that aggravates her condition. Likewise the noise of the power saw
used by your neighbor for his woodworking hobby is annoying to the
peaceful enjoyment of your property and must be curtailed.

I'm not talking confrontation here, just matter of fact casual
conversation without any demands, but every bit of it designed to
balance any picky complaints about your simple dipole with equally
trivial and inconvenient concerns of your own that require lifestyle
changes by your neighbors.

Actually I think we're both jumping the gun because I don't see where
your neighbors have complained yet. Hopefully you're just
over-anticipating their reaction.

Use of thin wire or wire, maybe with suitably colored insulation or
spray paint, should help hide it. If they don't see you install it it
may take weeks for them to notice it. That failure to notice
immediately would go a long way toward countering how big an eyesore
it really is.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice. I haven't received any comments from the wire
laying on my roof yet. Several neighbors already know I'm a ham and have no
problem. I've told them about how I can really help out during an big
emergency. The two most uptight residents (one across the street and one
next door) are planning on selling their places this summer. I figure if I
can get a wire in the air, I can always tell the new occupants, "I've had
antennas up since before you moved in."

I do like the idea of being the neighborhood fix-it guy. I want to spread
goodwill, not spite. They all know that I am a beekeeper (no hives on the
property), and will take care of any wasp problems they have. Getting rid of
a bald-faced hornets nest earns some big respect from the neighborhood boys.
More so when I don't wear the white suit!

Also, we're having more young families (like mine) move in. It would be nice
to build some interest among the young boys. Right now the only interest my
8 and 6-year old boys have is playing with the FRS. I'm in no rush.