Old March 31st 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
AF6AY AF6AY is offline

Default VCO

On Mar 30, 4:47�pm, "gbowne1" wrote:
Quote: "VCO" is an acronym for Voltage Controlled Oscillator.

Well, yeah I gathered that, after more reading. *I see that people
have used them in music synthesizer modules.

I'm sorry for being a bit elementary and maybe long winded here, I'm
still trying to learn as much as I can while I am doing and reading,
etc.

Keep that up, by all means. Amateur radio is about radio-
electronics technology applied to communications.

The VCO in the transceiver project in the book used some sort of motor
control and shaft encoding.

That's the common method of manual control now...but in-
between the rotary shaft encoder (attached to the manual
knob) and the VCO itself is a large collection of digital
circuits. Be prepared to learn more about digital circuits,
gates, flip-flops, etc. Not difficult, just strange if your
background is only analog circuits.

I did a google type search for HF DDS Generator using WebFerret. *Came
up with over 175 results. *Seems people are using 16F chips and AD98xx
chips.

Analog Devices is the most-often used supplier of the
basic DDS IC. Microcircuits' PIC series (the '16F'
family) of microcontrollers is used to do the "translation"
between manual frequency data input and the data
needed to set the DDS to the correct frequency. Now
that translation IS more difficult for many, experienced
in electronics or not.

If you are intending to go into frequency synthesizers for
your own projects, I'd suggest you concentrate on PLLs
first. Getting to know those and WHY they work will
lead into the various DDS methods of frequency
generation. The general digital circuits of both PLLs and
DDSs are related.

Well, anyhow thanks for all your replies.

Greg
Seattle, WA

I try to give "Sound" advice...my wife and I have a house
in Kitsap County west of Tacoma, SE of Bremerton. :-)

[as in "Puget Sound" folks...bad pun but the Sound is
very very long...and lovely territory]

73, Len AF6AY