Old March 31st 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
charlie charlie is offline

Default Tracking chips in HD radios

Brenda Ann wrote:
"Tester" wrote in message
g...
The Brits used to send around vans to detect TV receivers in the
possession of people without a TV receiving license.

They still do.

Not anymore. As the system is completely computerised and based on
the fact that some 99 per cent of homes have a TV it is really a
simple a matter of checking up on those that the computer says do
not have a licence. This is done by post and if you do not have a TV
then you are required to declare so on a form. If you fail to do
that then there will eventually be a knock on the door. This will
happen every year - I know because there was a period of some 10
years when I did not have a TV and had to go through this hoop each
year.

Now I have a TV and pay for my licence by direct debit and they
leave me alone.

If you do see a 'detector' van then it is probably Ofcom looking
into an RFI problem. Not that they do much of that these days.

Charlie.

--
www.wymsey.co.uk