Old March 31st 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
ve3... ve3... is offline

Default Tracking chips in HD radios

..

On Mar 31, 12:36?pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

..

Oh great - the HD Radio Alliance can track what is listened to - need
to get this one to the press ASAP !

Yeah, right. An HD radio has no transmit capabilities, and you know it.

How do you know -

Very simple... it doesn't transmit.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""""""""""

Every superhetrodyne transmits a signal via its oscillator.
Example 1.
In WWII Nazi submarines used TRF receivers as the oscillator in a
superhet put out enough signal that air and naval sub chasers could
home in on the signal and deep-six them.

Example 2
In 1985, my auto Radar detector, the latest in Stealth technology,
was detected by a police cruiser using even later detector technology.
"Oh sure," chuckled the cop as he wrote out a ticket," I heard you
right across the valley."

Example 3.
My old diode detector radar detector was invisible to the police
detectors.

Therefore, when buying a new iboc radio, tell the clerk that you
insist on a TRF model that will ensure your privacy. Wearing your
tinfoil hat might help get his attention. I am sure that small-signal
reception techniques have improved since 1944.