Old April 1st 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Antonio Vernucci Antonio Vernucci is offline

Default Antenna Theory Question

As you mentioned, Thevenin does apply, and your effective area formula
is correct (gain w.r.t. isotropic radiator). So a thin halve wave
dipole antenna has an internal resistance of about 70 Ohms, and half
the power is lost, but not as heat in the antenna.

If I may add just a simple observation to the exhaustive Wim's explanation, I
would say that we generally tend to consider resistors as things that
necessarily dissipate power, turning it into heat. That is not always the case.

As a matter of fact, having current in phase with voltage (what we usually call
resistance) signify the transformation of electrical power into any form of
power, not just heat. For instance:

- an ideal electrical engine (no ohmic loss, no friction) fully
transforming the applied electrical power into mechanical power. It looks like a
resistor, but no heat is generated anywhere

- an ideal antenna (no ohmic loss) fully transforming the applied
electrical power into electromagnetic power. Again it looks like a resistor, but
no heat is generated anywhere

..

73

Tony I0JX