Old April 1st 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
KH6HZ KH6HZ is offline

Default The Changing Operating Classes

"John Smith I" wrote:

I simply do not see it happening. Radio simply isn't "sexy" compared to a
lot of other readily-available technology items these days.

Ever think the reason might be the people and their attitudes?

Nope. In the 15 years I've been licensed -- and the 25 years I've been
"around" ham radio and ham radio operators, I've never encountered an
"attitude" other than a common interest in radio. -- just as my interest in
radio started when I dug out a Zenith TransOceanic out of my parent's
basement many, many years ago and used it to listen to various shortwave
broadcasts.

Ham radio is like all walks of life. Just as there are a myriad of people in
ham radio, there are a myriad of attitudes. There are 650,000+ opinions in
ham radio, just like there are 650,000+ assholes.

Should I base my belief on what ham radio is 'all about' on the postings of
Mark Morgan? Or Roger Wiseman?

The answer is no. Instead, I think of those as 'statistical outliers' and
discard them as flukes.