Old April 2nd 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default RHF's "HD" Radio Rating System { It's In-the-Stars } In-Searching-Of an "HD" Radio

On Apr 1, 7:19 pm, Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 10:35:31 -0700, RHF wrote:
Radiosophy "MultiStream" HD Radio
http://www.radiosophy.com/products.html

This one was "vaporware" for a VERY long time. I ran into someone who
finally actually got his hands on one last week. He says the audio
quality isn't the best - ISTR he said it was a poor choice of speakers or
speaker enclosure design.

DS [W9WI],

Well since the 'improved' Sound Quality is "The Big Reason"
for most people to Trade-Up-To an FM "HD" Radio -then-
The Radiosophy "MultiStream" HD Radio
BAD RAP HD = http://www.radiosophy.com/products.html
would have to be considered a Failure.
- - - Guess that the Good Folks at Radiosophy need to get
some 'critical' Feed-Back from their "HD" Radio Buyers and
Make some Design Improvements and Production Changes.

-But- Since many of these "HD" Radios seem to have poor
AM Radio Tuners and only Good FM Tuners - It may be a
Trade-Off that each individual Radio Listener will have to
decide for themselves.

RHF's "HD" Radio Rating System
{ It's In-the-Stars } In-Searching-Of an "HD" Radio

5-Stars = Very Good AM Tuner + Very Good FM Tuner + Very Good Sound

4-Stars = Very Good AM Tuner + Very Good FM Tuner + Good Sound

3-Stars = Good AM Tuner + Very Good FM Tuner + Very Good Sound

2-Stars = Good AM Tuner + Good FM Tuner + Very Good Sound

1-Star = Good AM Tuner + Very Good FM Tuner + Good Sound

0-Stars = Poor Sounding [.]

POINT # 1 - "HD" RADIO TUNING :
-IF- You Can't Tune and Receive the HD Radio Stations on both
AM and FM -WHY- Buy an "HD" Radio ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ?
[ CRITICAL - You Can't Receive Them -so- You Can't Hear Them. ]

POINT # 2 - "HD" RADIO SOUND :
-OK- You Can Tune and Receive many HD Radio Stations on both
AM and FM -But- You Can't Hear any Better Quality Sound from
HD Radio Stations on at least FM -WHY- Buy an "HD" Radio ! ?

So far from what I have heard from the Actual Users of "HD" Radios
-most- Would be "Rated" 3-Stars -or- 4-Stars -and- Fail at either
Point # 1 -or- Point # 2.

Looking for an "HD" Radio that I would Rate 5-Stars ~ RHF