Old April 4th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Pete[_3_] Pete[_3_] is offline

Default Non technical antenna question

Richard Clark wrote:
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 19:07:47 -0400, "Pete" wrote:

- Is there anything I can do to the existing telescopic whip
antenna (such as wrap it in aluminum foil or something else weird
like that) that will enable the radio to pick up the station I want.
And also, please explain why it plays the station I want when I put
my hand on or around the antenna.

Hi Pete,

Neil's terse comment of taking back may ulitmately prove beneficial.

On the other hand you can just string up a lot of wire (higher is
always better) and simply wrap one end around the telescoping antenna.
Insulated wire or not shouldn't matter.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Thank you Richard...that is the kind of comment I was looking for (I took
Neil's with a grain of salt-there is absolutely nothing wrong with the
radio). I was trying to be polite in my post, but I am way smarter than
that.

I will try wrapping the wire around the antenna tomorrow and let you know
what happens (is it okay to use phone wire which has several individually
insulated wires in it). BTW could you please tell me why the reception
comes in when I put my hand around the antenna (ie what is my body doing to
the signal), and also answer my second question about one antenna for both
AM and FM. Thanks again...Pete