Old April 4th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
cmdr buzz corey cmdr buzz corey is offline

Default cautions setting up new rig?

You passed the test and you have to ask these questions?

On Apr 4, 6:18 am, "Jeff" wrote:
OK, I've bought my frist HF transceiver. Now I want to get on the
air.
I have some basic questions, that may sound dumb..but hey, I'm new
to this, as was everyone at one time, so...I'm wondering how careful
I need to be setting up a station ground, and setting up the antenna.
For instance, is the grounding through the wall outlet sufficient for
the radio? Or should I run a short line from true "earth
ground" (i.e.
via a pipe driven into the earth so many inches, etc.)? As for the
antenna...I have a dipole ordered and am wondering about the cautions
I've read regarding RF, and shocks, etc. Is it safe to have an
antenna
with wires exposed/un-insulated? Can an antenna come into contact
with, or lay on top of say a roof? Are antennas a shock hazard, or
spark/electrical fire hazard, RF exposure hazard? How can these
problems be reasonably minimized? Are there any other things I
need to be cautious about? Also, my father thinks I'm likely to drive
my neighbors crazy with interference from my radio :-{ Any advice?