Old April 5th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
MRW MRW is offline

Default Not understanding some parts of wave refraction

On Apr 5, 1:44 pm, "K7ITM" wrote:
Others have posted, correctly, that the propagation velocity is slower
in some mediums than in others. I think it's a mistake, though, to
say that c changes! c is supposed to be a constant, the speed of
electromagnetic wave propagation in a vacuum--in fact, I suppose, in a
vacuum with no gravitational fields in it. A description of fields in
an electromagnetic wave often used the permittivity, epsilon, and
permeability, mu, of the medium through which the wave is travelling.
If it's through a vacuum, the values of epsilon and mu have values
that are used often and have special notation--epsilon-sub-zero and mu-
sub-zero. For convenience here, call them eo and uo. Then note that
eo*uo = 1/c^2. As you might suspect, the propagation in a medium with
larger values of e and u than eo and uo is slower than c. In fact, it
should be velocity = sqrt(1/(e*u)).

Note that e has the units of capacitance/length -- commonly farads/
meter -- and u has the units of inductance/length -- commonly henries/
meter. But a farad is an ampere*second/volt, and a henry is a
volt*second/amp, so the units of sqrt(1/(e*u)) are sqrt(1/((A*sec/
V*meter)*(V*sec/A*meter))) = sqrt(meter^2/sec^2) = meters/sec. A unit
analysis is often useful to insure you haven't made a mistake in your
manipulation of equations.

So...in summary, c = f*w is actually not quite correct. It should be
wave_velocity = f*w. c should be reserved to mean only the speed of
light in a vacuum. If you're in a non-vacuum medium, and measure very
accurately, you'll measure the same frequency, but a shorter
wavelength: the wave doesn't travel as far to push a cycle past you,
as compared with in vacuum. It's going slower.

If the propagation medium is, for example, solid polyethylene (the
dielectric of most inexpensive coax cable), you'll find that w is
about 0.66 times as much as it is in a vacuum, and the propagation
velocity is similarly 0.66*c.

Cheers,
Tom

Thank you everyone! I have a better understanding now. I guess part of
my confusion is that on the same chapter thay have a table on the
electromagnetic spectrum. In it, they list Radio Waves as having
frquencies between 10kHz to 300Ghz and wavelengths of 30,000km to 1mm
(I guess the 30,000 km is a typo in the book). Are these wavelength
values based in a vacuum then?