Old April 5th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Spam Collector Spam Collector is offline

Default Lightning 'liability' ?

On 2007-04-04, Dave wrote:

if the lightning is close enough to strike your tower, it was going to hit
in that general area anyway. your tower has no effect once you get up to
the heights where lightning starts... it can only effect that last little
jump to connect to the ground where the 'cone' or 'ball' of protection area
is commonly considered.

I was considering the possible situation that a strike would have hit my
neighbor's house, as it is higher than mine, but since the well-grounded
tower was there it would take the hit instead, but still damage their
TV, etc. due to the induced currents in the area, and they might blame
me for their losses (since the strike hit my tower) even though the tower
might have saved them from a direct hit.
From the responses it looks like I'm probably over-concerned.

Thanks,
Frank
KE5MJZ