Old April 6th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

Default Lightning 'liability' ?

On 5 Apr, 14:46, Owen Duffy wrote:
Spam Collector wrote :

I was considering the possible situation that a strike would have hit
my neighbor's house, as it is higher than mine, but since the
well-grounded tower was there it would take the hit instead, but still
damage their TV, etc. due to the induced currents in the area, and
they might blame me for their losses (since the strike hit my tower)
even though the tower might have saved them from a direct hit.
From the responses it looks like I'm probably over-concerned.

It could.

IMHO, the neighbours would have a hard time proving that you were liable,
but don't get legal advice from me, ask a lawyer... and he will give you
two answers.

Yes, you are probably over-concerned. Worry about personal safety first,
and that is pretty much people on your own property.

Owen

Owen,
the laws are different in Australia. In the U.S. laws are made first
without a ruling what the the actual "words" inferred where as
"intent" of the law in Australia and other places is of prime
importance. As time passes by words uttered can change their meaning
from the original intent thus solutions can be delayed for years where
nothing is really final. Also in the U.S. anybody can sue anybody and
with impunity where as in other countries the loser pays the costs of
the court action.In America the person with the most money nearly
always wins and the poor finish up in jail since each side pays his
own costs and only gets the attorney that he can afford before his
money runs out.You can even get away with murder here
if you have deep pockets and in a lot of cases charges will be dropped
or diminished if the County does not have enough money to pursue a
lengthy trial where you must bear in mind that the opportunity for
unlimited appeals depend on the depth of the pocket of the
accused.America is broke
financially and in a lot of cases criminals are not arrested or let
out of prison early to make room for new entrants! We tried to make an
Empire without sufficient money on hand and thus we lost a Country.
Art