Old April 6th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default CBC Takes a Hit

"Stephanie Weil" ) writes:
On Apr 5, 11:04 pm, "ve3..." wrote:
The CBC announced its new schedule today. For those who like the arts,
humanities, and sciences it is a disaster. No classical music, no
opera, no lectures by people who know their subject, no plays.
Instead, they are changing their programming to appeal to the
"younger generation."

Well, that bloody bites. There are two anglophone CBC stations:
Radio One and Two-FM (or whatever it's called now).

Radio One has always been the news/talk full-service station, while
Two-FM has always been a music & fine arts station. The Francophone
counterpart used to be called the "Chaine Culturelle" (Cultural
Network).

I always thought it was the ideal use of the two stations. So you're
saying they dumped the music from the music station????

No, no, they've just rearranged some things, and refocused
others.

"Radio One" which used to be CBC AM, is still talk. They've taken
out some of the more arty things (which may be because they were
coming from the other network and are no longer on the other network),
and added some repeats of weekend shows in the late evening/night.

"Radio Two" which used to be CBC FM (or more specifically CBC Stereo),
is still music. They haven't dropped classical music, they've just
made it less important. They've added more jazz, though I don't know
yet (since I've not listened to the show) what sort of jazz it
generally is. I don't believe they've dropped the weekend opera.

Now the debate is whether the changes are a good thing or not. I
happen to only listen to classical music if there's nothing else on
and I don't feel like putting on a CD (or record). So putting a daily
jazz show is a good thing from my standpoint (with the caveat that
it may not be the type of jazz I like). At the very least, I am
tasting "Radio Two" a fair amount since the changes came into effect
two or three weeks, because I want to know what's new. I'm not the
"younger" audience, unless they have a wide definition of "young".

Michael