Old April 8th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Coaxial Cable considerations for HF

"jawod" wrote in message
Having re-entered ham radio after a 30 year hiatus, I would like to ask
about RG/8U versus other cable types for use in a simple dipole or G5RV
installation with 100W max. transmitter output. In the "good old days"
Low loss "8U" was sort of the standard. There are some newer cable
designations now.

Is there a better "standard" cable for the above use than RG/8U
(specifically Belden 9913 low loss)?

John
AB8O

For feeding a G5RV if the feedline is not much over 100 feet almost any coax
is good enough. Probably would not use the rg-58 , but would use rg-8X or
any of the rg-8 type coax. Would not waste the money on anything beter as
you would only gain a couple of tenths of a db if that much.

The 9913 is hollow inside and may be hard to keep the water out of. I had
some up for about 10 years and used it on 2 meters for ssb. It never did
get any wate rin it for me. I don't like the LMR 400 as the center
conductor is copper coated aluminum. Nothing wrong with that when it is
installed correctly, but I just do not like it. Davis makes some Burry Flex
that is very good, but over kill for the dipole. I just installed 4 beams
using about 500 feet of it, triband for 20,15,10, a 432 mhz, 144 mhz and a 6
meter beam. Would not have used it on the triband but wanted to just buy
one type of coax for the job.

Think I would use the rg-8X for the g5rv. I am feeding an 80 meter dipole
and also an off center fed dipole with the rg-8x running about 700 watts out
of a Heathkit sb200 amp.