Old April 9th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default Not understanding some parts of wave refraction

Jim Kelley wrote in news:eve92l$mip$1
@news.service.uci.edu:

K7ITM wrote:

"Let's see... e=m*c^2. Now what c is that?

I think I know which one, and as far as I know there hasn't been a
dispute about that on RRAA. The question posed on the newsgroup, and
the one which still seems to be a point of contention is which one
should go in *this* equation:

f = c / w

I maintain the answer is still - it depends on the medium.

Jim, I am not a physicist... but I recall when introduced to e=m*c^2 at
high school, that "c" was defined as "the velocity of light in a vacuum".

If the "in a vacuum" qualification was unnecessary, if wasn't relevant, I
wonder why they complicated and restricted the definition?

I am with you (until someone presents a convincing argument otherwise).

This leaves all those books, software etc giving a value for "c" as not
necessarily in need of revision.

Owen