Old April 10th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Rick[_3_] Rick[_3_] is offline

Default NVIS Dipoles Directional?

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 23:36:56 +0000, Dave Oldridge wrote:

NVIS propagation is pretty high angle stuff. If you look at the three
dimensional patterns for NVIS antennas you will see that they have a large
lobe at high angles and an almost circular omnidirectional pattern at those
angles. We're looking at 80 degrees and up mostly here, maybe 70 at the
low end....so that antennas are mainly designed to illuminate the patch of
ionosphere directly above the antenna.

Right. That's my point. So, what I'm claiming ... and trying to get
someone who knows more about this stuff than I do (which is just about all
of you) to confirm or deny ... is that with an NVIS dipole, someone 100
miles away from me would not be able to perceive the difference if my
antenna was broadside to him or oriented in line with him. True, or false?