Old April 10th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Yuri Blanarovich Yuri Blanarovich is offline

Default NVIS Dipoles Directional?

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
t...
Rick wrote:
... is that with an NVIS dipole, someone 100
miles away from me would not be able to perceive the difference if my
antenna was broadside to him or oriented in line with him. True, or
false?

The broadside radiation is mostly horizontally polarized
while the radiation off the ends is mostly vertically
polarized. I wonder if that would make a measurable
difference?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

I think polarization will play in the picture. Dealing with NVIS, we do not
get much of the polarization being rolled around as with signals coming from
refractions/reflections via ionosphere.
The signals at the receiving end would be coming from "above", but I would
suspect that with distinct polarization component that should be detectable
with receiving antenna if rotated.
So I would vote that there would be difference in NVIS signals most likely
characterized by sharp minimum at the opposite polarization receiving
antenna orientation.
Any RF signals have a distinct polarization at any point and time.
Add some constructive or destructive interference and one would get the
picture.

73 Yuri, K3BU.us