Old April 10th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tam/WB2TT Tam/WB2TT is offline

Default What kind of 1/2 wave antenna is this?

"Rick" wrote in message
news

Way back in the good old days, I had a situation where I couldn't
center-feed an antenna, and couldn't use any kind of end-fed antenna that
required a ground system. So, I built an antenna that's described below.

1/4 wavelength of wire going to two egg insulators. Off of one of the egg
insulators is another 1/4 wavelength of rope. The feedline (coax) is
taped to the rope along its length, then the rope and feedline combination
is enclosed in 1/4 wavelength of copper braid. The center conductor of
the feedline goes to the wire, and the shield goes to the braid.

I think you are describing a sleeve antenna. Usually hung vertically. It is
described in either the ARRL Antenna Book, or the Handbook.

Tam/WB2TT