Old April 10th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
------------ ------------ is offline

Default Loss of radio signals on scanner in certain areas and McDonalds.

On Feb 21, 7:06 pm, wrote:
On Feb 21, 2:44 pm, "RedPenguin" wrote:

I am just curious, because I understand but don't 100% understand why.
I know that some things can block radio signals but does anyone know
why this is.

If I take a local transit bus in my area, whether it is a big or a
small bus, on a walkman or scanner, their is usually little to no AM
at all. Some FM stations go haywire. Shortwave, on the bus dead. When
I go into my college, shortwave dead.

When I am in my house, I can easily get AM stations and shortwave, why
do some buildings just kill the signals?

Also, does anyone know, did McDonalds go encrypted or something with
their drive-thru? I have a Uniden BR330T scanner that includes drive-
thru ranges, and in my area of my college, there is 3 restraunts with
drive-thrus. One KFC, One McDonalds, and one Wendys, all right next to
each other. Now I have always been able to get KFC and Wendys with
usually only a search. No matter what I do, I can never seem to get
McDonalds on my scanner even trying known frequencies. I know for a
fact they use wireless headphones because when I went in to give an
order, I saw a pair behind the counter. Why is McDonalds the only
place I can never get on my scanner?

nvm my first question, I think I need to do a WFM search on the 900
range for McDonalds because that's the only one I didn't do, so that's
probably why I never heard them.- Hide quoted text -

Some seem to be. I used to be able to hear my local McDonald's on my
scanners, but can't anymore. I couldn't pick them up in the 900 MHZ
range either, even in wide fm mode.

Doing a search all the way up to the 2.4 GHZ range in am, fm, amd wide
fm modes, I could no longer hear them.

They're either encrypted, digital, or wired.

I think only some are now, although they'll probably all eventually
switch to where we can no longer hear them on regular scanners.