Old May 20th 04, 06:24 PM
Doug McLaren

In article , joyce wrote:

| Good idea to spend the money on the marine radio.
| They are expensive because the are built for marine use and specs.

The local thrift shop had one (mobile unit, not HT) for $6 ... I
almost bought it for tinkering, but decided I had enough projects. No
idea if it works, of course

I guess if it's really needed I could buy it and ship it to somebody
who pays for that Still can't guarantee that it works though ...

| How about putting the radio inside the boat and route the audio
| to an external weatherproof speaker (amplified ?).
|
| You can receive noaa weather radio on most 2m radios.

Is that really true? Certainly, some can, but of the four 2m radios
I've owned, only one can receive the 162 mhz frequencies. (Another
can read 150-159 mhz, and the other two can only do 140 to 144 mhz.)
Perhaps I should just get more modern equipment.
--
Doug McLaren,
May you die in bed at 95, shot by a jealous spouse.