Old April 12th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Ross, NS7F Ross, NS7F is offline

Default Best ARRL handbook editions?

On Apr 11, 2:29 pm, (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:
NS7F wrote:
I have discovered how much fun tubes can be, and am in the process of
planning one or more transmitters to go along with my 2-tube
regenerative receiver. Now, I'm only 23 years old, so I'm in the
process of researching hollow state technology. Could you please put
together a short list of the "best" ARRL handbook editions? I have 99
and 05- I'm just looking for a few years to watch for on amazon, etc.
Of course, recommendations for other books would be appreciated, too,
but I'm on a tight budget...

IMHO what you should do is go to a library and find where the major
"houscleaning" was done and then get the previous edition. For example,
I have a 1995 (blue) edition, and it was much better IMHO than the
1996 (red) which I also have.

In any case, collecting a set of them may not be of much use to you.

Tubes have not changed much in a long time, so getting an early edittion
with lots of tube data and then copies of articles you want may be
a much better use of money and space.

73.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog athttp://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Right. So far, I am looking at the 40th ed (1963), as it has several
good tube projects.