Old April 12th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Robert Kubichek Robert Kubichek is offline

Default Anyone still use packet radio?

Ed wrote:

The domimnent reason it still survives is probably emergency services.
ARES and RACES groups are pretty strong up here, and apparently Packet
radio is one of the key portions of ARES communications.

In fact, I'd say that the newer TelPac nodes are the primary reason
Packet remains a viable communications use for emergency services. The
mere fact that now we can easily send, and receive packet radio messages
from areas without any other communications services, and route them to
the Internet, and receive them from the Internet, makes it a pretty neat
resource.

Ed K7AAT

Add to that APRS and Weather watch using packet.

Bob N9LVU