Old April 12th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] barnegatdx@aol.com is offline

Default (OT) Kurt Vonnegut

On Apr 12, 4:13 am, "RHF" wrote:
On Apr 11, 9:22 pm, wrote:

has passed away at 84. www.drudgereport.com

Rest in Peace,Kurt Vonnegut.
cuhulin

Kurt Vonnegut was a very good writer and many of
his books were well worth reading - imho ~ RHFhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Vonneguthttp://www.iblist.com/author40.htmhttp://philosopedia.org/index.php/Kurt_Vonnegut_Jr.http://www.nndb.com/people/928/000022862/
"Kurt Vonnegut was an Activist Unitarian, Atheist,
and Secular Humanist." all rolled up into one.
.
.
. .

His death comes as a shock to me. I read all of his earlier books

" Slaughterhouse Five", Breakfast of Champions" and " Sirens of
Titan" are the three I think of.

Here are some of his quotes:

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand

1492. As children we were taught to memorize this year with pride and
joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the
continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and
imaginative lives on the continent of North America for hundreds of
years before that. 1492 was simply the year sea pirates began to rob,
cheat, and kill them.

Breakfast of Champions

There is no way a beautiful woman can live up to what she looks like
for any appreciable length of time.
Remark of "Kilgore Trout" in Timequake (1997)

* We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system
is trying to get rid of us, as well it should.
On Humans, in an appearance on The Daily Show (September 2005)

* ...I have wanted to give Iraq a lesson in democracy-because we're
experienced with it, you know. And, in democracy, after a hundred
years, you have to let your slaves go. And, after a hundred and fifty
years, you have to let your women vote. And, at the beginning of
democracy, is that quite a bit of genocide and ethnic cleansing is
quite okay. And that's what's going on now.
Appearance on The Daily Show (September 2005)

The good Earth--we could have saved it, but we were too damn cheap and
lazy.

"I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make
people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked
if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles
did'."

Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake, 1997