Old April 12th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Junius Junius is offline
Senior Member

Default Recommendation for VERY small, Very rugged, digital tuning

On Apr 12, 8:56 am, David wrote:
On 12 Apr 2007 01:10:06 -0700, "SharpTradingCompany.com"

wrote:
I am looking for the a shortwave radio with these key characteristics
and would appreciate your suggestions:

#1 VERY small
#2 VERY rugged
#3 digital tuning
#4 the most features.

I want it for world travel as well as camping.

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/3319.html

Depending on the type of travel/camping that's being done, the ICF-
SW7600GR can present size issues. When traveling about in the Indian
subcontinent some years back, I came to loathe the bulkiness of the
ICF-SW7600G, since the preference was to travel as light as possible.
That said, the unit provided very good service throughout, and it was
reasonably well-built that I didn't have to worry about it taking a
knock here or there, while in its supplied case. When returning to
India a few years later, I traveled with the smaller Sangean ATS-606A,
taking into account the previous trip's lesson. Decent performance on
the whole, although when in the Western Ghats during the monsoon
season, the LCD blanked out entirely (although the unit otherwise
worked). It didn't return to normal until I got out of the exceedingly
humid climate.

Anyway, I'd travel with either of 'em again. If I was intent on doing
a fair bit of listening, I'd go with the exttra bulk and take the
Sony.

Junius.