Old April 12th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Roadie Roadie is offline

Default Imus is Toast

On Apr 12, 12:25 am, "ve3..." wrote:
Just for the record, NBC news announced this evening that Imus was
fired immediately and would not return even for his telethon. CBS has
not announced any change as yet so his telethon will likely be on
WFAN. Apparently most of the advertisers on the Imus show cancelled.

Advertisers pulling out was the single most important reason for the
networks to cancel his show. For the life of me I do not understand
the attraction of "Shock" radio. What could possibly be enjoyable
about hearing these loud and mean voices demeaning group after group
after group. But I suppose in a way that is not unlike the attraction
of the many TV "reality" shows. We get to watch as one or more people
are verbally dismembered.

These included General Motors, Procter and Gamble, American Express,
and pharmaceuticals. This would leave an exoensive three-hour show
with no income and probably provided MSNBC with all that it needed to
fire Imus. I feel sorry for Chris Carlin. He had just got married,
didn't have much money, was terribly harassed by Imus, and now he has
no job.

And I'm sure Carlin will not be the only one from behind-the-scenes to
fall as a result of Imus being fired and his show folding. Those are
the realy unfortunate stories that never get told. Imus can I'm sure
afford to be fired. The other regular people who were hurt be his
misbehaviour much less so.

I just wish that some of the denizens of this website, who revel in
free speech and spew obsenities, racial insults, and personal slander
could also be fired off rec.radio.shortwave. There are a lot of decent
people who do not post here because they don't need the name-calling
that ensues from sophomoric show-offs who never contribute anything
and wouldn't dream of helping a newcomer. I wonder if this site will
go the way of the old CB band where the bad drove off the good
(Gresham's Law).