Old April 13th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Cato Cato is offline

Default Recommendation for VERY small, Very rugged, digital tuning

On Apr 12, 1:10 am, "SharpTradingCompany.com"
wrote:
I am looking for the a shortwave radio with these key characteristics
and would appreciate your suggestions:

#1 VERY small
#2 VERY rugged
#3 digital tuning
#4 the most features.

I want it for world travel as well as camping

Greetings: I have the Sony 7600, Eton E5, and several other
radios, (Including my Panasonic RF2200, not for sale.) The Sony SW100S
is a great radio, but getting harder to find, and is somewhat pricey
for most people, unless you can pick up a used one in great
condition. If you can, then get it. The SW100S is a fantastic little
radio. The Sony ICF7600 and Eton E5, Grundig G5 are also great radios
that I would have no trouble recommending, except the "VERY small" is
one of your conditions, so I rule them out. I love these radios at
home but I take a Degen DE11 with me when traveling and I want to go
REALLY small.
One that I use, and like very much is the Degen DE11, that I
bought on eBay. The radio measures, 4.3x2.8x1 inches, (110x71x23 mm).
It is single conversion, but pretty damn good for a single conversion
in such a small package. But it does not receive single side band. The
DE105, and DE101 are about the same size, but in my opinion the DE11
is a better radio. I have all three, and although the DE105 is good,
the DE101 just doesn't have it as far as being a good radio. But that
is kind of expected since it is such a cheap radio. I thought it
would, but after using them all, I feel the DE11 is the best of the
three.
On thing I did was get a nice Lowepro camera case for the DE11. It
fits the radio like a glove, giving decent protection and has a small
pouch that fits the extension antenna and hold a couple of spare
batteries. I highly recommend getting a Lowepro case or something
similar if you wish to give good protection to this little radio if
you decide to get it.
I will tell you that there are stories that Degens quality control
is not quite as high as it was a couple of years ago. There are
stories that the odd customer has received a radio with a quality
problem. I suppose I have been lucky so far. I also have bought the
Kaito KA1101, and the Kaito KA1102, and I'm happy with them both.
Best regards, Cato