Old April 14th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim - NN7K Jim - NN7K is offline

Default Acceptable Lightning Ground?

Not only that, BUT IF you use copper pipe, you
may expect electrolysis , which will actually
eat the pipe, in 4 or 5 years, in soil. If you
go to your parts house (Lowes, or Home Depot), you
will notice unions which are INSULATED for copper
plumbing . I had a water line replaced with copper
the plumber said with those unions, can get 25-30
years out of your new pipe, without, more like
5 years before holes appear! It ain't cheap
replaceing couple hundred feet of water supply
pipe! This also affects steel piping, tho not
so rapidly!
Jim NN7K

Thomas Horne wrote:
Jimmie D wrote:
"Thomas Horne" wrote in message
link.net...
Jimmie D wrote:
"Bud--" wrote in message
.. .
Jimmie D wrote:

Hopefully you are not really using the water pipe for a ground
for your electrical service. Hopefully your plumbing is just
bonded to the electrical ground. Dont even think about using
this for lightning protection. Nothing like having lightning run
in on your plumbing while taking a bath or have it run in on yor
ground and eat about $7K worth of test equipment(my bad).

Jimmie
Jimmie