Old April 15th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Acceptable Lightning Ground?

"Jimmie D" wrote in
:
Richard, Thats not how it waste away. It is disovled from the inside
by galvanic action. If you couple copper to galvanized pipe you must
use a special coupler that electrically isolates the copper from the
galvanized pipe. This is usually a brass union with a neopreme, I
think, insulator.

Hi Jimmie,

Copper is higher on the Galvanic series than either Zinc or Iron.
(Zinc is lowest in the series aside from Magnesium)

While there is a possibility - though none that I know of - that for some
reason that copper may corrode before Zinc or its iron substrate, usually
the lower member of the series goes away first. Do you know what the
effect is?

I have heard of some low quality copper pipe that tends to spring
leaks after quite a few years. Perhaps this is what we are talking anout?

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA