Old April 15th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave Heil Dave Heil is offline

Default 5A7A -- the Untold Story

Dee Flint wrote:
Well I think the places that this needs to be addressed are the ITU and the
IARU. They are the ones who establish international standards and treaties.
The DXpedition's choice boiled down to follow Libya's rules or not operate
at all. Correcting "stealth calls" after the fact could lead to denial of
future DXpeditions if Libya were to find out about it. I'm curious though:
Does Libya apply this same rule to those of its citizens who may be
licensed?

Yes, Dee, and the policy is followed by many Arab countries. For a
number of years, the FCC maintained a "banned countries" list which
forbid U.S. radio amateurs from contacting the radio amateurs of
countries which either outlawed amateur radio or had amateur radio and
desired that their radio amateurs should have no contact with the U.S.
Thailand was such a country.

Before U.S. entry into WWII, American hams were forbidden to contact
with certain countries, including all or almost all of Europe.

Third country nationals have no choice but to follow the amateur regs of
the country in which they operate.

Dave K8MN