Old April 15th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
billcalley billcalley is offline

Default A question on tube rigs in general, Kenwood in particular

On Apr 15, 12:18 pm, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article . com,

"billcalley" wrote:
Another quick question for anyone who is familiar with the Kenwood
TS-530S with the 500Hz CW filter installed, but I noticed that unless
I move IF-SHIFT counter-clockwise, the audio output is not centered on
800 Hz, but more like 1200 Hz or so. Is this normal for Kenwoods?

Bill-

I haven't worked on the TS-530. In other similar models there are
typically three crystals associated with the product detector, one for
CW, one for USB and one for LSB. If the crystal is off frequency, it
will cause a signal to be offset from its correct place in the IF filter
passband.

For the TS-520, these crystals appear to be on the carrier unit along
the left side of the radio on the bottom. Each crystal has a parallel
trimmer capacitor. As you adjust the frequency of the detector's CW
crystal, the background noise will sound different as you tune across
the filter's passband.

You need a counter and a diagram to set the crystal frequencies
correctly. The TS-520 service manual I downloaded does not seem to have
directions to do it. I would connect the counter to the output of the
carrier unit, and adjust each crystal to its correct frequency, selected
with the front panel CW/USB/LSB switch. The IF-Shift control should be
centered when making these adjustments.

If you can't read the frequency marked on the crystal, it should appear
in the parts list.

Fred
K4DII

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the tip! So that I don't FUBAR this up, please tell me if
I have this right (changed from your original description to take
advantage of my very limited equipment):

1. Set the MODE to CW and the IF-SHIFT to center detent position of
the TS-530S.
2. Find the single trimmer capacitor located near the 500Hz CW filter
(the trimmer capacitor will be able to shift the 500Hz CW filter
center frequency by some small amount).
3. View the TS-530S's audio speaker output noise on my audio spectrum
analyzer.
4. Adjust the TS-530S's trimmer capacitor until the audio (mainly
noise) output is -centered- on 800 Hz, according to the audio spectrum
analyzer's screen.

Would the above technique work?

Thanks!

-Bill