Old April 16th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
billcalley billcalley is offline

Default A question on tube rigs in general, Kenwood in particular

On Apr 15, 3:44 pm, Chuck Harris wrote:
billcalley wrote:
Thanks for the tip! So that I don't FUBAR this up, please tell me if
I have this right (changed from your original description to take
advantage of my very limited equipment):

1. Set the MODE to CW and the IF-SHIFT to center detent position of
the TS-530S.
2. Find the single trimmer capacitor located near the 500Hz CW filter
(the trimmer capacitor will be able to shift the 500Hz CW filter
center frequency by some small amount).

You can't shift the CW filter, so you must shift the xtal oscillator
that provides the BFO injection signal for the CW mode.

3. View the TS-530S's audio speaker output noise on my audio spectrum
analyzer.
4. Adjust the TS-530S's trimmer capacitor until the audio (mainly
noise) output is -centered- on 800 Hz, according to the audio spectrum
analyzer's screen.

That is correct, you must adjust the xtal BFO trimmer so that the IF noise
shows up centered on the desired CW note frequency.

-Chuck

Cool -- thanks Chuck!

73,

-Bill