Old April 15th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Tommy Tootles Tommy Tootles is offline

Default (OT) Pet Food Recall,it isn't over yet.

On Apr 13, 4:13 pm, Tommy Tootles wrote:

What this mess has pointed up is that there are no controls over
the very few large contract manufacturers of cat and dog food.

Dogs and cats are well and good, but what about controls over food
for people???

Roadie wrote:

You are kidding right?

Why would I be kidding? The FDA is -greatly- under-staffed; we don't
have enough inspectors to properly staff U.S. located packing houses,
much less enough inspectors to look at -all- the food coming into this
country from overseas. This fact has been widely publicized in the
various media for years.

Furthermore, you don't even have to look all the way to China. Try this
for right here at home:

Last summer, in a series of revelations that nearly snagged a
Pulitzer Prize, Seattle Times writer Duff Wilson documented a
nationwide practice of recycling some industrial wastes as
fertilizer. Gaps in state and federal regulation were allowing toxic
and radioactive wastes that contain nutrients to be combined with
fertilizer and spread without notifying farmers, much less consumers.

A Seattle Times investigation found that, across the nation,
industrial wastes laden with heavy metals and other dangerous
materials are being used in fertilizers and spread over farmland. The
process, which is legal, saves dirty industries the high costs of
disposing of hazardous wastes. (July 3 - 4, 1997)

Funny, but I didn't think your MacFries were supposed to be laced with
cadmium...

Read the book "Fateful Harvest" by Duff Wilson or at least do a web
search for "industrial wastes used as fertilizer" and then we can have
an intelligent discussion.

So, really, you're kidding when you ask if I am kidding, right?