Old April 16th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Keith Dysart Keith Dysart is offline

Default Analyzing Stub Matching with Reflection Coefficients

On Apr 16, 2:30 am, Alan Peake
wrote:
Jim Kelley wrote:

I guess I may have been 'intuiting' too much, myself. Since virtual
shorts and opens only appear in the steady state, I wouldn't expect
pulses to reflect off of them. I don't expect sine waves to reflect
off of them in steady state either for that matter, but that remains a
point of contention apparently.

73, Jim AC6XG

Actually Jim, virtual shorts etc. act the same for pulse systems as for
CW systems. The classic case is the rotating joint in radar systems.
Alan

But isn't that a number of cycles of RF?
Enough to reach 'steady-state'?

When I read the word 'pulse', I think rising edge, flat top,
falling edge, and the virtual short is quite different than
a real short for this signal.

....Keith