Old April 16th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
BDK BDK is offline

Default Horrible, Horrible HF reception

In article ,
says...
I recently bought an Icom IC-R3 (hand held communications receiver) and a
Yaesu VX-7R handy-talky (can tune .5 to 1000 Mhz). Both of these devices
can't pick up a single shortwave signal. And this is on a long wire antenna,
not the rubber duckies. (They both receive great on VHF/UHF. The IC-R3 even
manages to pick up fringe TV channels.) The same antenna connected to my old
Kenwood 599 receiver brings in plenty of HF signals, both shortwave
broadcast and amateur.

How can these two new receivers be soooo bad????? I live within a mile of an
AM broadcast station, could that be the problem? (It doesn't bother my old
Kenwood though!) Is anyone successfully listening to shortwave stations with
either of these radios?

I'm was going to buy a new HF amateur rig, but now I'm scared that it might
have poor reception at my location also.

If the Kenwood hears fine, the new HF radio will too. No handheld is
really going to have good HF reception. The best I've ever seen was on
the Yupiteru MVT9000. If wasn't horrible, but at work near pager towers,
and across the river from several radio stations, it was almost totally
deaf regardless of the antenna.

At home, with 10 feet of wire, it worked fairly well.

Comparing a handheld to any decent HF radio is like comparing an old
scooter with a jet fighter.

BDK