Old April 18th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John, N9JG John, N9JG is offline

Default multiband vertical

What do you mean by optimum length since open-wire feedline has minimal
loss? When I moved into this property last July, I just strung the longest
wire that would fit into the lot, and reeled out the amount of feedline that
would reach between the tuner and my shack on the second floor. I can not
make the feedline appreciably shorter, and if I made it longer I would have
to figure out how to support the additional feedline. I estimate the
feedline has a length of 70 feet.

John, N9JG

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
et...
John, N9JG wrote:
My antenna is similar to yours, but slightly longer. I have a 110 feet
dipole running between my chimney and a tree at the back of the lot. The
dipole is at a height of 30 feet and is fed with open-wire. I use an
antenna tuner and the antenna works fairly well on all bands 80 through
10 meters.

Your dipole is 8 feet longer than the G5RV length which
is a positive for 80m operation. For your favorite bands,
there is probably an optimum length of feedline. EZNEC
allows one to model different lengths of feedline. I
wrote a compiled BASIC DOS program that will estimate
the optimum lengths of feedline at:

http://www.w5dxp.com/imax.exe
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com