Old April 19th 07, 05:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Joey[_2_] Joey[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone still use packet radio?

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:54:52 -0700, Dick wrote:

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:00:53 -0700, Joey joey29034atyawwhodotcom
wrote:

So yeah, I still see ham radio as the last resort. But honestly, I
don't expect to use it much during a disaster. I will be doing my
job/volunteer work. But I still keep everything charged and tested
just in case!!!

Joey

Something to keep in mind is that, if the President declares a
national emergency, no one will be able to use ham radio for anything
unless they are a member of RACES. So the decision will be made for
you unless you are a member of that organization.

Dick

That, and most of the repeaters, especially on 440, are all
closed/private around here and therefore useless anyway. Of course,
none of them are ever used expect for about 4 of the systems, and
therefore just tie up empty bandwidth so people can feel special about
themselves..

What's up with Santiago pk? Is there a secret society you have to
join first to put a repeater on that mountain? It's the best site in
so cal for north/south comms, yet 95% of the things up there are
"private"... Talk about pretentious...

I was, well technically am still on the county ECS team, but I became
inactive cause no one really did too much. They still do their thing
which is good, but I just didn't have time. Of course being a local
RACES (does that still exist?) member does u no good if a high-level
machine is taken over and you want to use it for 1 minute...