Old April 19th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jimmie D Jimmie D is offline

Default A good RF ground

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:55:03 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

If I got a length of 6 foot wide copper sheet and made out of it a
cylinder,
say 6 feet in diameter, and then placed that cylinder in an upwards
position
in the ground, the top level with the surface, would that be a good idea
for
trying to acheive a decent RF ground?

Hi Richard,

Not particularly.

Also, is there anything I could place
around the cylinder to better the conduction between the cyinder and the
earth around it?

You could slit the cylinder lengthwise and lay it on or beneath the
soil.

Should I drill holes in the cylinder so I can pour water
into the cylinder to keep the ground around it moist?

This a bromide from the late 20s and 30s. Yes, it would keep the
ground moist, encourage moss, and increase the density of earthworms.

Would I still benefit from some radials in the ground?

Always, first, and foremost.

My garden's about 33 foot long, 21 foot wide. Ground gets rather rocky and
bit sandyish at about 9 inches or so from the surface.TIA.

Lay out a fan of radials as far as you can go. Make it about a dozen
to sixteen. Move on because there is small chance of significant
improvement beyond that.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Good 60Hs ground doesnt mean its a good RF ground. The casing of an
abandoned well gives me about a 4 ohm 60 hz ground but about 25 ohms ground
on 20 meters.

Jimmie