Old April 19th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default Homebrew 11 tube CB receiver info wanted

Scott Dorsey ) writes:
cmdr buzz corey wrote:
On Apr 19, 9:28 am, (Michael Black) wrote:

IN the sixties (and early seventies), it was common for the hobby
electronic magazines to treat CB as a hobby. This was especially so
for "Electronics Illustrated" that had quite a few construction articles,
going from simple to quite sophisticated.

In the early sixties I ordered one of those cb kits from an
electronics magazine. It consisted of a crudely punched chassis, a bag
of parts and a schematic. I never did get it to work.

I thought building a kit CB transceiver was illegal due to the type
acceptance issue?

Certainly Heathkit got around the issue with their full blown CB set(s)
by having the transmitter arrive as a preassembled module.

But I thought there was a CB "Benton Harbor Lunchbox" for a while,
and I can't imagine they would have a module for such a low end
unit.

So perhaps the type acceptance came a bit later? I can't remember (not
that I was aware of such things at the time, but I have read lots
of back issues of magazines).

In the very early days, there was equipment being made out of people's
garages. So either the rules were more lax then, or from the outside
there were companies selling things that weren't legal.

Michael VE2BVW